BYRON BAY LIGHTHOUSE
Byron Bay Lighthouse. Building commenced in the 1900's and was completed in 1901. There was a great banquet to celebrate the opening on 30th November 1991, Premier Hon John See was arriving by ship from Sydney to open the Lighthouse. Special trains were organised from Lismore and Murwillumbah to bring guests for the banquet. The ship from Sydney was held up with bad weather but the banquet went ahead without Premier John See and he opened the Lighthouse when he arrived the next day. The original light was a concentric six wick kerosene burner then later, was replaced by a vaporised kerosene mantle burner in 1922. The light was electrified in 1956 and ceased being operated by a lighthouse keeper in 1989.